We’ve been dabbling in eating much less grain these days. Josh has been trying out the Paleo diet. We made this recipe tonight from the book “Eat Like a Dinosaur,” which we found at our local library. The recipe is grain and dairy free, but we did add a little cheese to some of it. Surprisingly, every person in our family loved these. Simeon mostly ate the egg part, but he was totally into it. Lilia ate three servings, which is not like her at all.
Here’s the recipe… (I did make one more change – I blended the tomato mixture after step 4, then returned it to the skillet and added the pepperoni.)
Mini Egg Pizzas
Grain-Free, Gluten-Free, Corn-Free, Soy-Free, Sugar-Free, Tree-nut Free, Peanut-Free (contains eggs)
- 1 Tbsp lard or olive oil
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 C tomatoes, diced (or one 14 oz. can, strained)
- 1 C pepperoni, diced
- 10 eggs
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 C black olives, chopped (optional)
- 1 C mushrooms, chopped (optional)
- Heat lard or olive oil over medium heat
- Saute onions until almost softened, about 5 minutes
- Add tomato paste, cook and stir for one minute until well incorporated with onions
- Add tomatoes, cook 2 minutes stirring frequently
- Add pepperoni, cook together for 4 minutes, stirring frequently
- ♥ Crack and beat eggs until fluffy and bubbly
- ♥ Add oregano, basil, salt and pepper to eggs and mix
- ♥ Grease muffin tin cups (eggs will stick) or use a silicon pan or liners
- ♥ Spoon 1 Tbsp of tomato mixture plus any other additions into each muffin cup
- ♥ Pour egg mixture into muffin cups until they are ¾ full (eggs do fluff up in oven)
- Bake at 325 degrees for 25-30 minutes, or until tops become golden brown. We prefer our slightly underdone if we’re saving them for the week so that when reheated the eggs do not become overcooked.
Makes 16-24 pizzas, depending on how much you fill the cups with toppings. We filled our muffin cups about 50% with toppings and 50% with eggs and had 20 egg cups.
*Steps with the heart symbol (♥) indicate steps perfect for the sous chef in your kitchen with little hands!