We often cook a whole chicken and then have leftover meat. Tonight, I made up this simple recipe for using up the leftover chicken.
- Winter veggies, cubed (I used 1 turnip, 1 sweet potato, 3 small red potatoes, 2 carrots, and 1/2 a butternut squash)
- Olive oil (about 2 tbsp)
- 1 cup of leftover chicken (shredded with a fork)
- Fresh herbs (I used thyme, rosemary, & sage)
- 4 slices of bacon
- Salt & pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese (optional)
- Bread crumbs (optional)
- Roast veggies in oil at 450 degrees for about 20 minutes.
- Stir in chicken, herbs, and seasonings, then return mixture to the oven.
- In the mean time, cook the bacon in a skillet on the stove. Let cool and pat off grease.
- Add bacon and shredded cheese (if desired) to the mixture. Sprinkle bread crumbs on top (if desired – I happened to have some gluten-free ones I wanted to try).
- Return to oven for 5-10 minutes.
I served this with a side salad and chai ice cream for dessert: http://nourishedkitchen.com/chai-coconut-ice-cream/.